March 22, 2013

Makeup by Mehwish Khalid

I had the opportunity to take time out and ask my friend Mehwish Khalid, a successful makeup artist in Chicago, a few questions.We discussed how her career came about and some of her favorite products and upcoming trends. I always love hearing what people do for a living, especially something as fun as makeup!

What made you start doing makeup?
It has always been a passion of mine, but I didn't take it seriously until one day when I helped a friend out with her wedding events, and I had so many girls come up to me asking me to cover their events. That night I realized that I have all my life to study and work, but I will never have a chance to follow my passion and actually make money while doing it. So I pretty much put pharmacy on hold and went to makeup school instead...and I couldn't be happier with my decision.

Did you have any formal makeup training or is this something you just picked up?
Yes, I went to a makeup school and have a state certification, however, I feel that it is definitely an art that you learn on your own.

How do you stay up to date on makeup trends?
Watching runway shows, browsing through magazines, reading up on celebrity makeup artist's blogs.The best way is to see what the general public is wearing and leaning towards, as they are the ones that determine what trends will actually be hot.

What spring makeup trends are you anticipating?
Minimal face makeup - bold lip colors paired with subtle eye makeup, and I am also anticipating bold dramatic lashes to be a hot trend this spring.


If you were on a stranded island, what would be the one beauty product you would like to have with you?
Tinted moisturizer with SPF...oh and if I can take one more product, mascara!!

If you could do makeup on any celebrity, who would it be?
There are a few I would like to work on, but if I had to choose one it would have to be Mila Kunis.

If we took a peak in your makeup kit, which brand would we see the most of? 
Probably Mac

What would be your holy grail product for the following:
Foundation: Armani Luminous Silk
Powder: MAC Mineralized Skin Finish
Blush: NARS Orgasm
Mascara: Dior
Eyeliner: Maybelline gel eyeliner
Lipstick: MAC Pink Plaid for a softer tone and Rebel for a statement

Will you be following the bold lip trend?

Be sure to check out Mehwish's webpage or 
Facebook page to learn more about her and her work!

No comments:

Post a Comment